Monday, August 15, 2011

Oh Yes... There is One Almighty God


So you’re wondering if there is a God. Be sure to know that there is one Almighty God and He watches over us every day. As for me, I talk and talk and talk to Him but sometimes I forget to listen, okay most of the time I forget to listen. He has a way about Him…He will make me listen…he speaks to my heart and if that doesn’t do the trick He will speak to me directly! I am but a work in progress. Be still and know that I am God. Yes Lord I know that you are God….but to be still? For me this is hard to do. I am constantly, watching, thinking, worrying, working…..and yet I know I should be still and listen. I’ve been told this numerous times growing up and still into my adulthood…be still, stop pacing, stop fidgeting, stop talking, be quiet, calm down…you’ll work yourself to the bone. No...I will not stop; my mind goes a hundred miles a minute trying to anticipate my next move or the move of my kids, family, co workers, friends or neighbors. I wonder if they need anything, want anything, if a book that I’m reading will be appreciated by them or offend them. I wonder and think too much…. I do most of my talking to God in the car…there I have to be still and I listen….sometimes.

I remember the day that my sister Teri’s husband passed away. Skin cancer that took a deadly turn, David was a nice fellow and he believed in God. He loved my sister with all of his heart and he provided for her and my niece Sarah and my nephew Kyle very well. David loved Sarah and Kyle as his own.  He wasn’t a handsome guy, but had many qualities that I loved and admired. Everyone was welcome in his house and he had many friends; he and Teri went to church, prayed and played together. He wasn’t one to judge another for their past and took everyone at face value, from there he would determine whether or not they were trustworthy, honest and loyal.  There were many times that I thought to myself “she is so lucky to have a man like that in her life, now maybe she will settle down “. She and David weren’t married long before the diagnoses came and it was devastating to see this wonderful man turn into someone who couldn’t recognize us, couldn’t speak and became someone we couldn’t reach. Clay (their son) was 6 months old when David passed away. The day of the funeral was a warm sunny day and in my opinion funeral days should be cold, cloudy and the weather slightly miserable. I decided to go to the funeral alone, left my three children at the daycare center where I knew they were being taken care of.

I decided that I would fill my tank up in my green Areostar van before I left the city. I popped out, filled it up and was getting ready to leave when I heard a voice say “buckle your seatbelt”. I looked around but didn’t see anyone…of course not; there wasn’t anyone but myself in the van. I, who now preaches about seatbelt safety, rarely wore one at the time. I brushed it off as, I must be tired and stressed…and then began driving out of the lot. Again I heard a voice “I said put your seatbelt on”. Now you would think that this booming voice was in my head…no it was plain as day…audible and without a doubt not my imagination.  Hmmm…okay so I was losing it…not a problem, I buckled up my seatbelt. Maybe then the voice would leave me be. I was traveling from Brownsburg to Noblesville (about a 45 minute drive) on the interstate at a good clip (but not speeding) when I noticed that traffic was slowing a bit. I decided that I would simply go around and pass them, as I said… I was not speeding but wanted to be at the funeral home before most of the folks got there. I looked over my left shoulder to check upcoming traffic; it was clear, turned around and WHAM! I ran right into the car in front of me that was at a dead stop, going about 55 miles per hour. My airbag did not deploy and if it hadn’t been for the seatbelt I would have flown out of the windshield and been killed (so said the police officer). Thankfully no one was seriously injured (except my pride). I only had bruises from the seatbelt and a dislocated shoulder; the other folks weren’t seriously hurt either. A police officer arrived on the scene shortly after and then called an ambulance and a wrecker. I shooed away the paramedics and told them that I needed to be at a funeral, signed waiver papers and contemplated how I was going to get to the funeral home. My van was totaled and was being towed off to a friend’s gas station. The police officer asked me if I had someone to pick me up and I replied no. I was not about to roust someone away from my sister and simply told them I would walk. He said get in the squad car and then transported me to the funeral home. He didn’t seem overly pleased at the prospect; he thought I should be at the hospital getting checked out. He said that I was being obstinate - I thought he needed to mind his own business and turn on red lights and siren (I had someplace to be). No one knew about the incident until after the service was over. My brother Mark found out when I asked him for a ride back to our town (I hate worrying anybody).  I think back and wonder where my kids would be now…without a mother….without God in their lives. I thank God that I was still and listened (okay not the first time but the second). I know there is a God and He sent His angels to protect me. The Lord has His hands full and I am sure that I have more than one angel watching over me. He is truly an amazing God! So children, be still and know that there is a God…the same one who watches over me, watches over you. Listen and be still. This does not mean that He won’t let us stumble or let us fall, but He will be there as our Father to pick up the pieces and hold us when we cry out in pain, in desperation and when we shake our fists at the unfair world in which we live. He will also be there when we, find simple joys in our everyday lives, sing praises and Thanksgiving to Him…He is an awesome God and I thank Him every day for the blessings that He alone gives me. I pray that you find peace with Him. Can I hear an AMEN?!

1 comment: